Students read the stories, "Born Worker" by Gary Soto and an excerpt from Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. This week students will take their knowledge of the protagonists in these stories to write a comparative essay. Students have two graphic organizers to aid them in this task. Students are reminded that their essay should be FIVE paragraphs and should include:
- introductory paragraph with a hook and clear thesis statement
- a body paragraph that clearly describes Jose from "Born Worker"
- a body paragraph that clearly describes Tom from Tom Sawyer
- a body paragraph that clearly points out the similarities OR differences between Tom and Jose
- a concluding paragraph that rewords the thesis and points out the major findings